The magnetostrictive level gauge is applied to the information system of the refined oil storage tank oil depot. Real-time monitoring and measurement management of refined oil storage tanks.
In order to grasp the operation information of the storage tank in real time and accurately. For example the level, density, pressure, temperature, volume, and quality of the storage medium in the storage tank. To ensure the safety of the storage tank, many oil storage tanks have been studied at home and abroad. Detection and measurement methods and devices. Such as static pressure method, liquid level meter, hybrid method, etc., designed to a variety of measurement technologies, such as pressure type, servo type, radar type, magnetostrictive type, float steel belt type, etc.
Due to many factors such as technology, economy, and use. The monitoring, measurement, and safety management of oil storage tanks in our oil depots mainly rely on manual rulers, manual measurements, and manual inspections. Its measurement accuracy, reliability, maintainability, and real-time performance are difficult to meet the development needs of oil depot informatization construction.
An oil tank level gauge based on magnetostrictive measurement technology has a simple structure and high measurement accuracy. It can measure liquid level, boundary level, multi-point temperature, and other advantages at the same time.
This year, it has been applied more and more in the monitoring and measurement of oil storage depots, such as Sinochem Nantong Oil Depot. Therefore, the magnetostrictive level gauge is applied to the information system of the product oil storage tank oil depot. Real-time monitoring and metering management of refined oil storage tanks. Not only can real-time collection, storage, and management of oil depot receiving, sending, and storing information. It can also reduce staff to increase efficiency and improve oil depot management.
2. Working principle of the magnetostrictive level gauge
2.1 The composition of the magnetostrictive level gauge
The magnetostrictive level gauge is mainly composed of a float (with a magnetic ring inside), a transmitter (or an electronic warehouse is composed of a pulse generator and a receiver), a waveguide equipped with a magnetostrictive wire and a temperature detector. . The transmitter (electronic warehouse) is equipped with a magnetostrictive wire waveguide and temperature detector are integrated structure. The transmitter and temperature detector adopt a modular and integrated design.
2.2 Working process of the magnetostrictive level gauge
The working principle of the magnetostrictive level gauge is mainly to use the combination of magnetic effect and super-generating effect to achieve the purpose of measurement. Magnetic effect and Weidmann effect and Villari effect.
When the transmitter is powered on, the pulse generator and receiver start to work. The pulse generator in the electronic head of the level gauge first applies an electrical pulse signal to the magnetostrictive waveguide wire. This electrical pulse is accompanied by a circular magnetic field. When the magnetic field encounters the longitudinal magnetic field generated by the magnet in the float at the speed of light. It will be vectorially superimposed to form a spiral magnetic field.
According to the Weidmann effect, when the magnetic field of the magnetostrictive material changes. The weak size of the magnetostrictive material itself will also change accordingly. Therefore, when the synthetic magnetic field changes to form a spiral magnetic field, the magnetostrictive waveguide wire will be twisted and deformed. This excites the torsional wave (or return pulse).
The torsion wave will be transmitted back to the induction coil in the sensor head in the form of ultrasonic waves along the waveguide wire and will change. When the coil in the sensor, it will be converted into transverse stress.
According to the Villari effect, when a magnetostrictive material is physically deformed. Will cause changes in the magnetic field strength in the magnetostrictive material. Therefore, the magnetic flux passing through the sensor coil will change, and an induced electromotive force that can be detected will be generated at both ends of the sensor coil. The propagation speed of the supergenerated torsion wave is only related to the elastic modulus and density of the magnetostrictive waveguide filament, which is a constant.
Therefore, the time difference from the moment the current pulse is emitted to the detection of the induced electromotive force is multiplied by this fixed velocity V. The position of the magnet (float) can be accurately calculated. Its liquid level height L=V*(t1-t2).
2.3 Technical characteristics of the magnetostrictive level gauge
The petrochemical industry has gradually paid attention to the monitoring of oil levels. According to the working principle, it can be roughly divided into the following types:
- Mechanical float level gauge. The price is low, but its accuracy is low, and it cannot meet the requirements for use as a measuring instrument. And the failure rate is high, and the steel belt is prone to jam.
- Capacitive liquid level gauge. The price is moderate and the measurement accuracy is acceptable. However, due to its large temperature drift, its stability is insufficient, the accumulated error is large, and the measured value is not accurate.
- Light guide type liquid level gauge. The price is moderate, but the measurement accuracy is low and the stability is poor.
- Radar level gauge. The price is expensive, the liquid level accuracy, reliability, and stability are all ideal, the installation is also very convenient, and different media are practical.
- Magnetostrictive liquid level gauge. The price is more expensive, the stability is better, and it is easy to install. But it cannot be used in heavy oil with high viscosity and high density. Of course, the magnetostrictive level gauge has many other outstanding advantages. Specifically in:
① The work is very reliable. Because the second son telescopic level gauge uses the waveguide principle to work. Therefore, there are no mechanical moving parts inside the device, and there are no defects such as wear. The entire converter is enclosed in a stainless steel tube. No contact with the measured medium. Therefore, the sensor works reliably and has a long life span.
②Multi-parameter measurement. Another major feature of the magnetostrictive level gauge is that it integrates measurement of liquid level, water interface, temperature and other parameters. Because the electronic components in the magnetostrictive level gauge can detect the continuous magnetic waves generated by the same emission pulse. Therefore, two or more magnetic floats can be installed on the same sensor. Just ensure that the weight of the float corresponds to the specific gravity of the medium. The liquid level and interface can be measured at the same time, realizing multi-parameter measurement.
③High measurement accuracy. Because the magnetostrictive level gauge uses waveguide pulses to achieve measurement. During work, the displacement of the measured liquid surface is measured by the time difference between the excitation pulse and the induction pulse. Therefore, the accuracy is extremely high, which is a measurement accuracy that is difficult to achieve with other sensors. At roughly the same or lower cost, magnetostrictive level gauges have higher accuracy and better economic benefits than other measuring systems that use capacitance, pressure, mechanical, ultrasonic or servo devices.
④ Good safety performance. The explosion-proof grades of magnetostrictive level gauges are generally flameproof and intrinsically safe. Suitable for working in various flammable, explosive, high temperature, high pressure and other dangerous places. No need to manually open the filling cap during measurement. Avoid the hidden danger of insecurity caused by manual measurement.
⑤ Easy to install and maintain. Since the magnetostrictive level gauge adopts flange connection, the installation is extremely simple. Moreover, the core components are not in contact with the medium, and the product has a modular structure. Intelligent design, no need for regular maintenance and regular calibration, which brings great convenience to users.
⑥Easy to realize networking. The output of the magnetostrictive level gauge is a standard signal. It is convenient for crisis management and can better cooperate with computer. It is also easy to make long-distance transportation possible.
Of course, the change of medium density will have a certain impact on the accuracy of the magnetostrictive level gauge. But it can be installed by installing a suitable float. Reduce the immersion of the float, reduce the outer diameter of the float, and overcome and avoid it to the greatest extent through temperature compensation. After on-site testing, the magnetostrictive level gauge is the same as the radar level gauge, with blind spots and inaccurate measurement of tank bottom oil.
Extended reading: Radar Oil Tank Level Sensor
3. Application of magnetostrictive level gauge in Sinochem Zhuhai Phase II product oil tank
At present, Sinochem Zhuhai Phase II Chenpin Oil Depot with a total of 412,000 m3 has been completed. Among them, the online liquid level monitoring system involving 12 light product oil tanks totaling 192,000 m3 uses magnetostrictive level gauges. The liquid level system consists of a magnetostrictive liquid level gauge, H-500 field display, H-1000 (oil depot) 10.4 inch color touch screen controller and YSMK-YK oil depot information monitoring and management system.
This system can display liquid level, interface height and temperature with H-500 on-site display in the field. In the control room, the H-1000 (oil depot) controller is used to display data in real-time with three-dimensional graphics and digital methods. Use sound and light alarm to prevent oil spill and oil shortage. Therefore, the detailed functions of the system are as follows:
- Accurate real-time measurement of oil level, water level and temperature. Using 10.4 color LCD screen, the number of storage accuracy points is not limited. It can be customized according to the customer’s volume meter, and the oil height, water height, temperature, volume, and remaining volume can be displayed in graphical and digital ways.
- Alarm function. The system has multiple alarm functions such as high liquid level (pre) alarm, low liquid level (pre) alarm, and high water level alarm. Use sound and light alarm to prevent oil spill and oil shortage.
- Self-diagnosis, management and equipment failure alarm.
- Oil intake report. It is possible to compare the liquid level before and after oil intake. Automatically calculate and save the amount of oil in and out.
- Communication function. The system is connected to the sensor through a 485 interface for data collection. At the same time, it can provide a built-in Ethernet interface, 2 RS-232 interfaces and an open protocol. Data communication with the local system and remote server.
- Product lightning protection design. With internal lightning protection and external lightning protection functions. In the event of a lightning strike, the internal circuit automatically discharges the strong lightning current and will not detonate or ignite combustible gas. The external wiring steel pipe is connected to the protective grounding system of the storage tank.
- Active communication and timing transmission data settings. The system can use external equipment to achieve active communication settings. Be able to set the target server IP address, port, user name, password and data sending time. And upload the data to the target server at the specified time and shift shift.
- Leak detection function. Due to the high measurement accuracy, the static and dynamic liquid level of the oil tank can be monitored in real time. It can also realize pipeline leakage monitoring in accordance with pipeline leakage testing procedures.
Extended reading: Oil Level Measurement Solutions for the Oil & Gas Industry
Since Sinochem’s Zhuhai Phase II oil depot currently does not have the oil intake conditions, the instrument and system cannot be fully tested and verified. But through other petrochemical companies have used the magnetostrictive level gauge as an oil tank level monitoring system for in-depth understanding. The above-described functions can all be realized, and the measurement accuracy function is carefully compared with the manual ruler. It is found that the accuracy is very high, basically reaching the level of measurement.
In summary, the magnetostrictive level gauge has outstanding advantages such as high reliability, high accuracy, low failure rate, and multi-parameter measurement. It has been regarded by experts in the petrochemical industry as the preferred instrument for liquid level and boundary level measurement. It is an ideal choice for metering and process-level monitoring. Especially in applications where the dielectric constant of the medium is low, the medium is volatile, and the measurement interface is required. Because the magnetostrictive characteristics are not affected by factors such as dielectric constant, temperature, pressure, and meteorological conditions, it has become the first choice for users. Under the trend of industrial production integration and large-scale production. Magnetostrictive level gauges will have a broader application space in future level measurement.