Electronic flow meters are industrial digital flow meters for fluid flow rate measurement. In more cases, people will default that Electronic flow meters are electromagnetic flow meters.
Electronic flow meters types like: Magnetic, Vortex, and Ultrasonic flow meters. Electronic flow meters are suitable for Industial liquid, water, natural gas, petrol, fuel, air, and more fluid flow. Electronic flow meters convert the monitored fluid flow into electronic signals. Including pulse signal, 4-20mA standard signal, etc.
Sino-Inst offers a variety of Electronic flow meters for flow measurement. If you have any questions, please contact our sales engineers.
Sino-Inst will act as the manufacturer of Electronic flow meters. We will answer your various questions about Electronic flow meters.
What is electronic flow meter?
While magnetic, vortex, and ultrasonic–are neither exclusively nor exhaustively electronic in nature. They do represent a logical grouping of flow measurement technologies.
All electronic flow meters have no moving parts, are non-intrusive, and are made by electronics technology.
Magnetic flowmeters, are the most directly electrical in nature, deriving their first principles of operation from Faraday’s law. Vortex meters depend on piezoelectric sensors to detect vortices shed from a stationary shedder bar. And today’s ultrasonic flowmeters owe their successful application to sophisticated digital signal processing.
Featured Electronic Flow Meters
How does a magnetic flow meter work?
Magnetic flow meters use a magnetic field to generate and channel liquid flow through a pipe.
A voltage signal is created, when a conductive liquid flows through the flowmeter’s magnetic field.
The faster the flow of the fluid, the greater the voltage signal generated.
Electrode sensors located on the flow tube walls pick up the voltage signal, and send it to the electronic transmitter, which processes the signal to determine liquid flow.
Let see the video about:
How to Measure Flow with Magnets – (Magnetic Flow Meters)
Video source: https://youtu.be/TR0baWuB6v4
What is the operating principle of a magnetic flow meter?
The operation of a magnetic flow meter or mag meter is based upon Faraday’s Law, which states that the voltage induced across any conductor. As it moves at right angles through a magnetic field, is proportional to the velocity of that conductor.
E =V x B x D
E = The voltage generated in a conductor
V = The velocity of the conductor
B = The magnetic field strength
D = The length of the conductor
To apply this principle to flow measurement with a magnetic flow meter, it is necessary first to state that the fluid being measured, must be electrically conductive for the Faraday principle to apply.
As applied to the design of magnetic flow meters, Faraday’s Law indicates that signal voltage (E), is dependent on the average liquid velocity (V) the magnetic field strength (B). And the length of the conductor (D) (which in this instance is the distance between the electrodes).
In the case of wafer-style magnetic flow meters, a magnetic field is established throughout the entire cross-section of the flow tube.
If this magnetic field is considered as the measuring element of the magnetic flow meter, it can be seen that the measuring element is exposed to the hydraulic conditions, throughout the entire cross-section of the flow meter.
With insertion-style flow meters, the magnetic field radiates outward from the inserted probe.
Magnetic flow meter advantages and disadvantages
Advantages of using Electromagnetic Flow Meters.
- High precision and stability
- Two-way measurement
- No pressure loss
- No moving parts
- May be for sanitary purposes
- Large size available
- Dirty liquid and mixed fructose are ok
Disadvantages of using Magnetic Flow Meters
- Can not be used to measure gas, steam and liquids containing a lot of gas;
- Cannot be used to measure liquid media with very low conductivity. The electromagnetic flowmeter cannot measure petroleum products or organic solvents and other media;
- Cannot be used to measure high temperature media. At present, it is restricted by the lining material and electrical insulation material of the measuring tube of the electromagnetic flowmeter for general industry;
- The electromagnetic flowmeter is easily affected by external electromagnetic interference.
What is a vortex shedding flow meter?
A vortex flow meter is a flow measurement device best suited for flow measurements, where the introduction of moving parts presents problems.
They are available in industrial grade, brass or all plastic construction. Sensitivity to variations in the process conditions are low, and with no moving parts have relatively low wear compared to other types of flow meters.
Vortex flow meters operate under the vortex shedding principle, where an oscillating vortexes occur, when a fluid such as water flow past a bluff (as opposed to streamlined) body.
The frequency that the vortexes are shed depend on the size and shape of the body. It is ideal for applications where low maintenance costs are important.
Industrial size vortex meters are custom built and require appropriate sizing for specific applications.
How does a vortex flow meter work?
The Vortex Shedding flow meter detects the vortices, that are created by a process medium going past a bluff body.
The frequency of these vortices can be equated into flow velocity, which, in turn, is used to calculate volumetric flow rate.
The integral temperature sensor is used in saturated steam service, to determine the operating conditions and specific volume of the steam being measured.
The steam table incorporated into the electronics, then calculates the flow or energy of the steam flowing through the meter.
The optional pressure sensor can be used for similar calculations, for gasses and superheated steam. Intelligent Signal Processing (ISP) provides stable readings, free of external influences.
The Working Principle of Ultrasonic Flow Measurement
Ultrasonic flowmeters use sound waves to determine the velocity of a fluid flowing in a pipe.
At no flow conditions, the frequencies of an ultrasonic wave transmitted into a pipe, and its reflections from the fluid are the same.
Under flowing conditions, the frequency of the reflected wave is different, due to the Doppler effect.
When the fluid moves faster, the frequency shift increases linearly. The transmitter processes signals from the transmitted wave, and its reflections to determine the flow rate.
Ultrasonic flow meter advantages and disadvantages
Generally, an ultrasonic flow meter is the device, that uses ultrasound to measure the velocity of liquid flow. That helps in determining the volume of liquid flow also.
The ultrasonic flow meters are made using the ultrasonic transducers, which are clamped to the external surface of a pipe, to generate the ultrasonic pulses through the pipe.
When the liquid flows inside the pipe, it creates the time difference in the pulses, and these are examined to calculate the accurate flow velocity of the liquid.
There are many advantages of using the ULTRASONIC flow meters which include:
- The electronics in the ultrasonic flow meter includes ultrasonic flowmeter detector which compensates and adapts to the changes in the profile of the flow, type of the liquid and material of the pipe.
- A portable ultrasonic flow meter converter can be used as a direct method to determine the flow rates effectively when compared to the other flow systems.
- Ultrasonic flow meter converter is inexpensive to use and maintain when compared to the other mechanical flow meters as they are no moving parts in these flow meters.
- Their design is highly sophisticated and they do not obstruct the liquid flow, so they can be used for sanitary, corrosive and abrasive liquids.
These are the advantages of the ultrasonic flow meters and there are many disadvantages of the Ultrasonic flow meter which include:
- The main disadvantage of the ultrasonic flow meter is the cost. The cost of the flow meter is very high when compared to the other types of mechanical flow meters.
- The ultrasonic flow meters are sophisticated when compared to the mechanical flow meters, so it needs experts to repair and maintain the flow meters.
These are the advantages and disadvantages of the ultrasonic flow meters.
How does a fuel flow transducer work?
Fuel flow meters, also known as turbine flow meters, are the main types of speed flow meters. A freely rotatable impeller is installed in the fluid flowing pipe. When the fluid passes, its motion can make the impeller rotate. The larger the fluid flow rate, the larger the kinetic energy and the higher the impeller speed.
The fluid flow can be determined by measuring the number of revolutions or the number of revolutions of the impeller.
What are the different types of flow meters?
Flowmeter types: Generally speaking, we will classify flow meters according to their working principles.
Flow Metering Principals
- Differential Pressure Flowmeters
- Velocity Flowmeters
- Positive Displacement Flowmeters
- Mass Flowmeters
- For Open Channel Flowmeters – weirs, flumes, submerged orifices, current meters, acoustic flow meters and more
For different working principle, We offer different types of flow meters, like:
- Differential Pressure Flow Meters
- Orifice Plate
- Venturi Tube
- Flow Nozzles
- The Sonic Nozzle – Critical (Choked) Flow Nozzle
- Calorimetric Flowmeter
- Ultrasonic Doppler Flowmeter
- Positive Displacement Flowmeter
- Variable Area Flowmeter or Rotameter
- Velocity Flowmeters
- Pitot Tubes
- Electromagnetic Flowmeter
- Turbine Flowmeter
- Vortex Flow Meter
- Thermal Flowmeter
- Coriolis Flowmeter
- Mass Flowmeters
- Open Channel Flowmeters
How to choose your flowmeters?
Important factors when selecting flow metering devices are:
- Measured medium
- Flow rate range
- Pperating requirements
- Lead time
These factors are more or less related to each other. Example – the cost of flow meters increases with accuracy and lifetime quality.
More about Electronic Flow Measurement Technology
- Industrial petrol flow meters|Selection Guide
- Cheap flow meters-Low Cost measurement solutions
- Digital gas flow meters for Sale
- Totalizer flow meters
- Stainless steel flow meters
- Industrial Oxygen Flow Meters
- Industrial CO2 flow meters Solutions
- Biogas Flow Meters Selection Guide
- Digital Beer Flow Meters
- LPG flow meters
Sino-Inst offers over 50 Electronic flow meters for flow measurement. About 50% of these are differential pressure flow meters, 40% is the liquid flow sensor, and 20% are Ultrasonic Level Transmitter and mass flow meter.
A wide variety of Electronic flow meters options are available to you,such as free samples, paid samples. Sino-Inst is a globally recognized supplier and manufacturer of flow measurement instrumentation, located in China.
Request a Quote