Flow Meter for Slurry Application
Slurry is a product of domestic sewage and industrial wastewater treatment. Slurry consists of solid impurities, a slurry of suspended substances. The main characteristic of Slurry is high moisture content, and industrial wastewater sludge contains toxic substances.
For challenging flow applications including suspended solids. Whether it’s wastewater treatment or mining. Electromagnetic flowmeters (commonly referred to as magnetic flowmeters) are a reliable and cost-effective method of accurate measurement. Magnetic flowmeters work well in Slurry due to their versatility and corrosion-resistant properties.
Featured Slurry Flow Meters
Industrial Slurry Flow
The measurement of industrial Slurry and sewage has been one of the difficult problems to be overcome by the measurement workers for many years. There are two main reasons for this.
One is the fluid characteristics: the medium is dirty, the solid-liquid dual phase, the composition is complex, and it is easy to adhere and deposit.
The second is the measurement characteristics: the field working conditions are harsh, the detection devices are easily damaged and difficult to maintain, and the reliability of the measurement instruments is high.
In recent years, with the continuous deepening of the low-cost strategy of Jinan Iron and Steel, the implementation of measures such as solid waste recycling and zero discharge of sewage. In the process, the iron-making dedusting water, the steel-making dedusting water, and the phosphorus-removing water (collectively referred to as industrial sludge water) are recycled to the sedimentation tank for filtration. The pump is pressurized and transported to the sintering plant for mixing and reuse. The accurate measurement of this industrial sludge water is directly related to the quality of the sinter.
For this reason, how to accurately measure industrial Slurry sewage has always been our topic of discussion.
Extended Reading: Differential Pressure (DP) Flow Meters Technology
What is the Best Flow Meter for Slurry？
Which sludge flowmeter is better to choose?
From the current measurement technology, it is more common to choose an electromagnetic flowmeter to measure sludge.
Sino-Inst considers electromagnetic flowmeter as Best Flow Meter for Slurry.
The properties of the sludge to be treated and the deep dewatering process of the sludge, the electromagnetic flowmeter has the following technical characteristics:
- It can measure the flow of almost all conductive liquids, silts, viscous materials and mud.
- A prerequisite for the measurement is that the medium must have a minimum conductivity.
- Temperature, pressure, density and viscosity do not affect the measurement results.
When measuring sludge, the type of electromagnetic flowmeter selected is the use of HC electrode, PTFE lining, one-piece type, 20% of the sludge is added with medicine and stirred into a sludge slurry (solid content is about 10%~15%) through pumping. on the pipeline.
- The electromagnetic flowmeter can be used for sludge with a solid content less than or equal to 15%, and the purpose of accurate and stable measurement in the slurry is achieved.
- The use of grounding flanges and a good grounding connection are necessary conditions to ensure the stable and reliable operation of the flowmeter.
Magnetic Inductive Flow Meter
Magnetic Inductive Flow Meter is a flow meter that measures the flow of conductive fluids. Abbreviated as EMF, also called Electromagnetic flowmeters. It is a kind of Volumetric flow meter. A magnetic flow meter measures the velocity of conductive liquids moving through a pipe or conduit. In the wastewater treatment industry, Magnetic Flow Meter is the best flow meter choice.
Magnetic flow meter working principle
Magnetic flow meters use the principle of Faraday’s Law of Electromagnetic Induction to measure the flow rate of liquid in a pipe. In the magnetic flowmeter pipe parts, a magnetic field is generated, and channeled into the liquid flowing through the pipe.
Faraday’s Law states that the voltage generated is proportional to the movement of the flowing liquid. A conductor moving through a magnetic field produces an electric signal within the conductor. And the singal is proportional to the velocity of the water moving through the field.
As fluid flows through the magnetic field, conductive particles in the fluid create changes. This variation is used to measure and calculate the velocity of water flow through the pipe. When the fluid moves faster, more voltage is generated. The electronic transmitter processes the voltage signal to determine liquid flow.
Magnetic flow meter principle – Faraday’s Formula
E is proportional to V x B x D where:
E = The voltage generated in a conductor
V = The velocity of the conductor
B = The magnetic field strength
D = The length of the conductor
To apply this principle to flow measurement with a magnetic flow meter. First is to state that the fluid being measured must be electrically conductive for the Faraday principle to apply.
As applied to the design of magnetic flow meters, Faraday’s Law indicates that:the signal voltage (E) is dependent on V, B, D.V is the average liquid velocity ;
B is the magnetic field strength ;
D is the length of the conductor ( which in this instance is the distance between the electrodes).
Extended reading: Flow meter totalizer calculation
Electromagnetic flowmeter to measure Slurry flow
Which sludge flowmeter is better to choose? In general, it is more common to choose an electromagnetic flowmeter to measure sludge.
- The electromagnetic flowmeter has no mechanical inertia and has a flexible response. It can measure the instantaneous pulsating flow, and can also measure the flow in both positive and negative directions.
- The output of the electromagnetic flowmeter is only proportional to the average flow rate of the measured medium. It is independent of the active state (laminar or turbulent) under a symmetric distribution. Therefore, the range of electromagnetic flowmeters is extremely wide. Its measurement scale can reach 100:1. Some even reach the operational flow scale of 1000:1.
- The sensor structure of the electromagnetic flowmeter is simple. There are no moving parts inside the measuring tube, nor any saving parts that impede fluid movement. So no additional pressure loss occurs when the fluid passes through the flowmeter. It is one of the flow meters with the lowest operating energy consumption in the flow meter.
- The caliber of industrial electromagnetic flowmeters is extremely wide. From a few millimeters to several meters, and there are real-flow calibration equipment with a diameter of 3m in China. It lays the foundation for the application and development of electromagnetic flowmeter.
- Electromagnetic flowmeter is a volume flow measurement surface. In the measurement process, it is not affected by the temperature, viscosity, density and conductivity (in a certain scale) of the measured medium. Therefore, the electromagnetic flowmeter only needs to be calibrated by water. It can be used to measure the flow of other conductive liquids.
- It can measure the flow rate of dirty medium, corrosive medium and suspended liquid-solid two-phase flow.
Sino-Instrument offers over 50 Slurry Flow Meter for flow measurement.
About 50% of these are differential pressure flow meters,
40% is the magneitc liquid flow sensor, and 20% are Ultrasonic Transmitter and mass flow meter.
A wide variety of Slurry flow meters options are available to you,such as free samples, paid samples.
Sino-Instrument is a globally recognized supplier and manufacturer of Slurry Flow Meter instrumentation, located in China.
Request a Quote
Wu Peng, born in 1980, is a highly respected and accomplished male engineer with extensive experience in the field of automation. With over 20 years of industry experience, Wu has made significant contributions to both academia and engineering projects.
Throughout his career, Wu Peng has participated in numerous national and international engineering projects. Some of his most notable projects include the development of an intelligent control system for oil refineries, the design of a cutting-edge distributed control system for petrochemical plants, and the optimization of control algorithms for natural gas pipelines.